Baikal ~ Overview
- It is the deepest freshwater lake in the world (more than 1.6 km) and the oldest (before 25 million years ago). It is the North Sea of the Suwu Shepherd and the blue eyes of Siberia.
- Lake Baikal is crescent-shaped, the lake is located in the basin terrain, surrounded by mountains and hills. The largest river is the Selenga River. The outflow river is the Angara River, a tributary of the Yenisei River. The outlet is located on the southwest side of the lake and flows north into the Arctic Sea. The great Russian writer Chekhov once described Lake Baikal: "The lake is clear and transparent. It is like seeing through the water through the air. Everything is vivid. The gentle green color is pleasing to the eye!
- Official website of the Russian tourism authority ~ Irkutsk regionhttps://zho.russia.travel/irkutskaja/
Baikal ~ how to get there
There are two large cities near Lake Baikal-Irkutsk in the west and Ulan-Ude in the east. Both cities have international flights and the Siberian Railway is accessible. The way to visit Lake Baikal, in addition to taking a ride to the lakeside and taking a boat tour, you can also choose the way of railing around the lake and enjoy the lake and mountains along the way. There are two types of railways around the lake: the Baikal Railway and the Siberian Railway.
- Circum-Baikal Railway(Circum-Baikal Railway): Introduction to Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circum-Baikal_Railway. From Slyudyanka to Port Baikal. Ferry is available between Port Baikal and Listvyanka. Transport from Irkutsk to Listvyanka is available by car or ferry. Irkutsk travels to Slyudyanka, and can also take the Siberian Railway.
- Siberian Railway-Lake Baikal: Between Sludyanka and Ulan-Ude.
Baikal ~ Tourist Attractions
▍Irkutsk / Иркутск:The entrance city to Lake Baikal. The capital of Irkutsk region. In 1970, it was listed as a historic city with architectural monuments, with 1,300 historical architectural heritages. Many wooden house streets remain in the city centre.
- Former Residence of the December Party: Cossacks built the city here in 1661. After the December 1825 Revolution, more than a hundred "December" young aristocrats were arrested and deported to Siberia, most of them lived in Irkut Ke, several [December Party Houses], have now become museums.
- Other sights to visit: the Orthodox Church, the Polish Cathedral, the Angara river bank, the wooden house street area ... etc.
- Buryat Village: On the way from Irkutsk to Olympian Island, pass the Buryat village and visit the Ust-Ordynsky Okruzhnoy Krayevedcheskiy Muzey, here Shows the history of the Buryat Republic.
▍Listvyanka / Листвя ́нка:Located on the shore of Lake Baikal, about 70 kilometers from Irkutsk, is another option to get close to Lake Baikal.
◎ Listvyanka-surrounding attractions:
- [Museum of Wooden Architecture] (Taltsy Museum): This open-air museum displays wooden buildings from the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, covering an area of 67 hectares, including wooden kremlin, churches, houses, schools and other Showpiece. This museum is 20 kilometers away from the town of Listvyanka, and is a must-go place to return to Irkutsk.
- [Baikal Museum]: Learn about the entire ecological environment of Lake Baikal.
- Take a boat tour of Lake Baikal; in winter, the lake surface freezes from January to a hovercraft tour of Lake Baikal. Hovercraft activities are limited to January to March.
- Baikal lakeside market, taste Baikal specialty salmon, the local practice is the smoked fish tender and delicious.
- The top of the mountain gives you a panoramic view of Lake Baikal: in the summer, you can take the cable car to the top of the mountain. In the winter, the cable car stops and you need to walk on the mountain.
О Olkhon Island (Ольхо ́н / Olkhon Island):It is the largest and only inhabited island on Lake Baikal. The village of Хужир / Khuzhir, with about 1,500 inhabitants, is the main village on the island. The inhabitants of the island are the Buryat people. Since ancient times, the island of Olkhon has been the center of Shamanism in the north. It worships nature, flora and fauna, and has a profound impact on folk and culture. The island's animal and plant resources are quite rich, and there are even more precious freshwater seals on the east coast of the island.
On the island of Olijon is the Soviet van-the Uaz. The Ouz is a Russian personnel carrier (UAZ small truck) that has been eliminated. Locals call it "earth tank". It has a very Russian appearance and a high chassis.
The tour on the island of Olivier is mainly divided into the north line and the south line, which all depart from the village of Khuzhir. The northern line is the most classic one. It is mainly to visit the corner from the west coast of the island of Olijon to the northernmost corner (or Cape Hubei). In summer and autumn, you can enjoy the changes in grassland and forest vegetation along the way; in winter, you drive on a frozen blue lake. After arriving by car, you will get off at the foot of the mountain and walk along the path to the northernmost junction angle. Return Pass by Love Mountain (Boy Mountain and Girl Mountain). Unlike the forest trails on the northern route, the southern route is dominated by hills and hills, with grasslands ranging from high to low.
◎ Olihong Island-Popular Attractions:
- Burhan Bay (Burhan): Shaman Rock on Cape Bay is also the most famous sight of Olijon Island. Located near Khuzhir, nearby attractions include the Shaman Column and the Ruin Pier.
- Cape Khoboy, the northernmost corner of the wave . Cape Hep, here is the deepest part of Lake Baikal, 1600 meters deep. With luck, you can also see the world's only freshwater seal, the Baikal seal.
◎ Olihong Island-Winter Tourism:
- North line tourism sign attractions: jade blue ice, ice hanging.
- South line tourism sign attractions: bubble ice surface, crack ice.
Special instructions for the itinerary:
- The symbols in the trip description mean:
- ※: Visitors who visit the tickets take care of themselves
- ▲: Included in the package itinerary
- △: You can visit by yourself without tickets
- On the second day of the itinerary, passengers are required to take care of their own tickets: ※ 【Ustki Oldensky Museum】
- On the 6th day of the tour, you can go to the city to visit by yourself. Tickets please take care of yourself: ※ 【Wooden Architecture Museum】 ※ 【Baikal Ecological Museum】 ※ 【Dog Sled Activities】
- On the 7th day of the tour, please take care of your tickets: ※ Hovercraft tour Baikal (Because the lake surface will freeze from January, hovercraft activities are limited to January to March.) ※ 【December Party House】